Chicago Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer
Fighting for the Compensation Clients Need to Recover
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that 1.4 million people in the United States suffer head or brain trauma annually. Brain injury refers to physical trauma to the head and/or brain, and they can result from slip and falls, car accidents, workplace injury, sports, and violent assault. If you have suffered such an injury, it is important that you get the help of an experienced Chicagoland personal injury lawyer to fight for fair compensation for your recovery. Call Panio Law Offices today to get started on your case.
Dial (312) 313-0305 or contact us online today to schedule your free consultation with our firm.
Causes of Traumatic Brain Injuries
These kinds of injuries can be caused by a severe shake or strike to the head, penetration, bump, or even damage caused by chemical intake or restricted blood flow. Brain injuries aren't restricted to those involved in major accidents.
Other brain injuries include:
- Concussions – These injuries can result from a violent shaking of the brain, often caused by a blow or a sudden push or shove. Common in contact sports, concussions can result in permanent brain damage. In recent years, Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) has been shown to develop in NFL athletes who have suffered concussions over the years of their careers, resulting in a protein forming clumps that slowly spread throughout the brain, killing brain cells.
- Acquired brain injury – This condition's cause is often internal (i.e. chemical in or toxic contamination) and results when brain cells are deprived of oxygen.
Symptoms of Brain Injury in Adults
Though symptoms of brain injury can vary depending upon the severity of the damage.
Common indicators of brain injury caused by external trauma include:
- Persistent headache
- Lack of concentration
- Memory issues
- Moodiness, behavioral or cognitive problems
- Blurry vision
Brain injury may also result in loss of consciousness after the accident or trauma and symptoms may develop gradually.
Common Symptoms of Brain Injury in Children
Brain injuries in children are commonly caused by falls, bike accidents, or participation in sports and other recreational activities. Children can also suffer brain injury through caregiver abuse ("Shaken Baby Syndrome," for example). Children suffering a brain injury may be particularly difficult to diagnose.
Common symptoms of brain injury in children include:
- Listlessness or tiredness
- Changes in eating patterns, sleep, play, or school performance
- Loss of interest in favorite toys or activities
- Loss of new skills (e.g., toilet training)
- Unsteady walking or trouble balancing, and
In most cases, the legal theory that will serve as the basis of your case is neglect. Proving negligence oftentimes is not the most difficult area of proving a traumatic brain injury case but proving the injury itself. Because a brain injury may not necessarily reveal itself through diagnostic tests like an MRI or CT scan, the aid of a qualified expert medical testimony can become vital to your case.
Let Panio Law Offices Help
If you or a loved one has suffered a traumatic brain injury at the hands of a negligent person or entity, you should always ensure that you retain a law firm that specializes in traumatic brain injuries. Panio Law Offices offer a wealth of experience in litigating traumatic brain injury cases. We understand the difficulty in proving the extent of a brain trauma in some cases. We work hard to collect evidence regarding the nature of your injury, retain the proper experts to explain the cause and effect of your injury, and ensure your compensation is consistent with the type of injury sustained.
Call (312) 313-0305 now and get started on obtaining the compensation you need.